Don’t worry, you’re in the right place! Thank you for planning to attend Democracy Fund’s 2016 Summer Strategy Retreat on Monday, August 29 - Wednesday, August 31st. We are excited to see you all and engage in a robust discussion about our future.
What did you just receive?
The clips you just received are a sneak peek at a possible future of politics in America. During this retreat we’re going to explore four very different “scenarios” that have been developed for this strategy retreat through research, interviews, and workshops.
What are scenarios and what is scenario planning?
Scenarios are stories about possible futures. In an uncertain time for American politics, the Democracy Fund has chosen to use scenario planning to take a longer view of the threats facing American democracy. We hope scenario planning will help us consider the unpredictable future and explore the strategic implications.
What is our objective?
Our objective in this retreat is to tap into your experience, creativity, and expertise to ensure the Democracy Fund remains focused on our mission, and is prepared to meet tomorrow’s challenges.
Next week, you will receive a briefing book with a full retreat agenda, scenarios, background on scenario planning, biographies of our retreat participants, and other pre-read materials. We will share the materials digitally and in print.
What do we expect?
Throughout this retreat, we ask you to stay engaged, keep us on our toes, and help us shape the future of democracy in America. Your contributions during this retreat are an invaluable asset to our strategic planning, and we are grateful for your support and leadership.
Please contact Karla McLean at if you have any questions about transportation, lodging, or the retreat agenda.
The Democracy Fund is committed to advancing and advocating for the highest ideals of the American republic through innovative partnerships and entrepreneurial projects. At this time, the Democracy Fund is organized as an invite-only grant-making process, in which potential investees are contacted to begin the grant application process. The Democracy Fund does not accept unsolicited business plans, proposals, or personal requests. Any submitted materials marked proprietary or confidential will be discarded.
Democracy Fund collects your personally identifiable information (“PII”) through the Websites when you choose to provide such information, such as when you (i) register to be on our mailing list, (ii) access various content or features, (iii) or directly contact us with questions or feedback. Democracy Fund also collects your IP address and web log data. Please do not disclose more personal data than is requested.
We will use your PII only (i) to provide you occasional updates about Democracy Fund, our partners and affiliates, and our work and events that we think might interest you; (ii) to operate and enhance the Websites; (iii) to address any questions or feedback you submit; (iv) to perform research and analyses, or for other internal purposes to improve the quality of our work; or (v) as otherwise described to you at the point of collection or pursuant to your consent. If you provide your email address, we may send you emails. Where required in the relevant jurisdiction, we will obtain your consent before sending you promotional emails. If you wish to opt out of emails you receive from Democracy Fund, you may do so by following the “unsubscribe” instructions in the email.
Each time you visit the Websites, Democracy Fund collects some information to improve the overall quality of your online experience.
Some web browsers may transmit “do-not-track” signals to the websites with which the user communicates, although web browsers incorporate and activate this functionality in different ways, and it is not always clear whether users intend for these signals to be transmitted. There currently is disagreement, including among participants in the leading Internet standards-setting organization, concerning what, if anything, websites should do when they receive such signals. Democracy Fund currently does not take action in response to these signals, but, if and when a standard is established and accepted, we may reassess how to respond to these signals.
Under Age 13. Democracy Fund does not knowingly collect or retain personally identifiable information about persons under 13 years of age. Any person who provides their personal information to Democracy Fund via the Websites represents that they are 13 years of age or older. The Websites do not knowingly solicit or collect personally identifiable information online from children under the age of 13 without prior verifiable parental consent. If we learn that a child under the age of 13 (or such legally required higher age) has submitted personally identifiable information online without parental consent, we will take all reasonable measures to delete such information from our databases and to not use such information for any purpose (except where necessary to protect the safety of the child or others as required or allowed by law). If you become aware of any personally identifiable information we have collected from children under 13, please contact us through our contact page at email@example.com.
Under Age 18. Minors under 18 years of age may have the PII that they have provided to us through the Websites deleted by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org and requesting deletion. Please note that, while we make reasonable efforts to comply with such requests, deletion of your personal information does not ensure complete and comprehensive removal of that data from all our systems and back-up systems.
You have the right to request that your PII be removed from our database, changed or updated, and can do so by contacting us at email@example.com. If requested, we will promptly verify, amend, and/or delete your account and you will no longer receive emails from Democracy Fund. Your removal from the mailing list or database will not remove records of past transactions or delete information stored in our data backups and archives where we are required to keep your data for legitimate business reasons or to fulfill any legal requirements. Data on past transactions and data stored in backups and archives will be deleted in the normal course of our business. You have the right to access or, if required by applicable laws, receive a copy of your PII held by us by making a written request by sending an email to the contact link below.
In addition, you have the right to make a complaint to the relevant supervisory authority in your home country if you have concerns about Democracy Fund’s handling of your PII.
Democracy Fund understands that storing our data in a secure manner is essential. Democracy Fund stores PII and other data using reasonable physical, technical and administrative safeguards to secure data against foreseeable risks, such as unauthorized use, access, disclosure, destruction or modification. Please note, however, that while Democracy Fund has endeavored to create a secure and reliable website for users, the confidentiality of any communication or material transmitted to/from the Websites or via e-mail cannot be guaranteed.
When you participate in Democracy Fund’s job application process, we will ask you to provide personal data such as: your name, email address, mailing address, and telephone number; your resume/CV, and cover letter outlining your work experience, educational history, and skills.
Please do not send us any sensitive personal data such as government-issued ID numbers, financial information, photos, or dates of birth. We do not need or want that data in a resume.
We may receive personal data about you from other sources, your references, prior employers, a person or company/organization authorized by you to submit an application on your behalf, and/or publicly-available sources.
If Democracy Fund makes an offer of employment, we will ask you to authorize us to obtain a consumer report or consumer investigative report. If you choose not to provide this authorization upon request, we will not be able to offer you employment.
In order to comply with federal law, all persons hired by Democracy Fund will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
In addition, we will ask you to voluntarily provide information regarding your gender, veteran status, ethnicity, and disability status. This information, or your decision not to provide this information, will not impact your application in any way.
We may share your personal data with service providers (including recruiters) that assist us with recruiting, application, and employment processes and our affiliates and other third parties with whom you might work if you are offered and accept the job.
The Site is intended for individuals 13 years of age or older. By using or accessing the Site, you represent and warrant that you are at least 13 years of age. If you are not at least 13 years of age or do not agree with the terms of this Agreement, do not use or access the Site.
DF does not and cannot review all materials posted to the Site by its users, and DF is not responsible for any such materials posted by users. DF reserves the right at all times to remove any information or materials, in whole or in part, that in DF’s sole discretion are objectionable or in violation of this Agreement.
DF may change, suspend, or discontinue any aspect of the Site at any time, including the availability of any Site Content. DF may also impose limits on certain features and services or restrict your access to all or part of the Site without notice or liability.
2. RIGHT TO USE. Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, DF grants you the right to use the Site and the Site Content, in accordance with this Agreement. Please see the Copyright Notice posted on the Site and incorporated by reference herein for information regarding any additional license rights to Site Content. Any rights not expressly granted herein or in the Copyright Notice are reserved by DF and its third party licensors. Notwithstanding the foregoing, DF reserves the right to limit the availability of the Site and the Site Content to any person, group, geographic area or jurisdiction, at any time. If you access the Site from outside the U.S., you do so at your own risk and you are responsible for compliance with any local laws.
The Site Content is protected by copyright as a collective work and compilation under U.S. copyright laws, international conventions, and other copyright laws. The Site Content is only for your personal, noncommercial use. All materials contained on the Site are protected by copyright and are owned or controlled by DF or the party credited as the provider of the content. If you would like a license to use any Site Content, please contact us for further information. Unauthorized use may violate copyright, trademark, or other laws. You will not remove, deface or obscure any copyright, trademark or other proprietary notices and/or legends of DF or its third party licensors on or incorporated into the Site Content.
Please see the Trademark Policy posted on the Site and incorporated by reference herein for information regarding trademarks, logos and service marks of DF and third parties.
3. CONDUCT. You agree that you will not:
5. BUSINESS PLANS AND OTHER PROPOSALS. DF does not accept unsolicited business plans or other proposals, and takes no responsibility and assumes no liability if you submit any such business plan or proposal to DF. You acknowledge and agree that DF does not have any confidentiality or other obligations with respect to any such information or materials, regardless of whether such information or materials are marked or identified as confidential or proprietary.
Although DF is not responsible for your content or communications, DF may delete any such content or communications, at any time without notice to you or anyone else. You are solely responsible for any information that you submit or post on the Site. DF retains the right to deny access to anyone who DF believes has violated the terms of this Agreement. DF further reserves the right to investigate and prosecute violations of this Agreement, including those related to intellectual property rights and security issues, to the fullest extent of the law. DF may involve and cooperate with law enforcement authorities in prosecuting users who violate this Agreement.
7. DIGITAL MILLENNIUM COPYRIGHT ACT COMPLIANCE. DF respects the intellectual property rights of others and expects users of the Site to do the same. Pursuant to 17 United States Code 512(c)(2) (Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998), DF’s designated agent for notice of alleged copyright infringement appearing on the Site is:
Joe Goldman, President, Democracy Fund, Inc., 1333 New Hampshire Avenue, Suite 730, Washington, DC 20036. Ph: 202.448.4505, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Filing a notice of infringement with DF requires compliance with the requirements specified in Title II of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
9. EXPORT RESTRICTIONS. You acknowledge that the Site and the Site Content may be subject to the export control laws of the United States. You will not export, re-export, divert, transfer or disclose any portion of the Site, the Site Content or any related technical information or materials, directly or indirectly, in violation of any applicable export law or regulation.
10. INJUNCTIVE RELIEF. You acknowledge that any use of the Site or Site Content contrary to this Agreement may cause irreparable injury to DF and its third party licensors, and under such circumstances DF and its third party licensors will be entitled to equitable relief, without posting bond or other security, including, but not limited to, preliminary and permanent injunctive relief.
11. NO WARRANTIES. YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT THE SITE AND THE SITE CONTENT ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” AND DF, ITS SUPPLIERS AND PARTNERS EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT, AND ANY WARRANTY ARISING FROM COURSE OF DEALING, COURSE OF PERFORMANCE OR USAGE OF TRADE. DF AND ITS THIRD PARTY LICENSORS MAKE NO WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION REGARDING THE ACCURACY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY SITE CONTENT, OR THAT THE SITE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE, ERROR FREE, OR OTHERWISE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS. USE OF THE SITE IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK.
12. INDEMNIFICATION. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless DF and its officers, directors, employees, consultants, agents and third party licensors from any and all claims, liability, damages and/or costs (including, but not limited to, attorneys fees) arising from your use of the Site, your content, feedback or communications submitted to or through the Site, or your violation of this Agreement.
13. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, IN NO EVENT WILL DF OR ITS THIRD PARTY LICENSORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, EXEMPLARY OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, LOSS OF INFORMATION, OR ANY OTHER PECUNIARY LOSS OR DAMAGE) ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE SITE OR ANY SITE CONTENT, WHETHER ARISING IN TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), CONTRACT OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, EVEN IF DF OR ITS THIRD PARTY LICENSORS HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE MAXIMUM CUMULATIVE LIABILITY OF DF AND ITS THIRD PARTY LICENSORS EXCEED $50 OR THE AMOUNT ACTUALLY PAID BY YOU TO USE THE SITE (IF ANY), WHICHEVER IS GREATER, AND THIS AMOUNT SHALL BE YOUR EXCLUSIVE REMEDY FOR ANY CLAIMS ARISING OUT OF OR RELATED TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE SITE OR ANY SITE CONTENT. THE LIABILITY LIMITATIONS SET FORTH IN THIS AGREEMENT SHALL APPLY NOTWITHSTANDING ANY FAILURE OF ESSENTIAL PURPOSE OF ANY EXCLUSIVE REMEDY PROVIDED IN THIS AGREEMENT OR THE INVALIDITY OF ANY OTHER PROVISION. Because some states and jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability, the above limitation may not apply to you.
a. Choice of Law and Forum. This Agreement shall be governed by and construed under the laws of the State of Delaware, U.S.A., without reference to its conflict of laws provisions. The parties consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the courts located in and/or serving Washington, D.C.
b. Waiver and Severability. Failure by either party to exercise any of its rights under, or to enforce any provision of, this Agreement will not be deemed a waiver or forfeiture of such rights or ability to enforce such provision. If any provision of this Agreement is held by a court of competent jurisdiction to be illegal, invalid or unenforceable, that provision will be amended to achieve as nearly as possible the same economic effect of the original provision and the remainder of this Agreement will remain in full force and effect.